Understanding the Aging Initiative
Grantmaking efforts of the Plough Foundation reflect the many pressing social and economic issues facing Memphis and Shelby County. For nearly four years, the Foundation has engaged in in-depth research, collaboration and idea-sharing to identify the most pressing issues facing older citizens in Shelby County.
In supporting this initiative, the Plough Foundation commissioned a survey of Shelby County seniors. The results are enlightening and have informed our efforts over the past four years. You can review this data by clicking here. Our Executive Director served on the Governor's Task Force on Aging and we issued the Foundation's first Request For Proposals in our 50 year history to solicit innovative solutions to the problems many of our seniors grapple with on a daily basis.
From our Request for Proposals process, we received more than sixty submissions. Of those, we awarded more than $12 million to the following efforts:
- A Coordinated Community Response to Elder Abuse (Numerous grantees throughout Shelby County)
- Home Rehab and Repair for Low-Income Seniors (Lead Agency - Habitat for Humanity of Greater Memphis)
- No Hungry Senior - An effort to feed those most food insecure (Lead Agency - MIFA)
- Community-Based Eye Clinic with Free Glasses (Lead Agency - Southern College of Optometry)
- Training Certified Aging in Place Specialists (Lead Agency - West Tennessee Homebuilders Association)
- Production of WKNO's Best Times Television Show (Lead Agency - WKNO)
- National Center on Aging's Aging Mastery Program to be provided in every Senior Center (Lead Agency -- The Works)
Click the icon below to read or download the first annual report of Coordinated Response to Elder Abuse (CREA).
In addition to these exciting and impactful grants, the Foundation, utilizing a grant from MetLife and working with community partners, produced an informational booklet on universal design and aging in place that can be downloaded for free by clicking the icon below:
More useful information about aging:
Plough Foundation Aging Initiative Speakers Series
Aging in Place November, 2013
Elder Abuse and Maltreatment January 2014